Mr Schallhorn is internationally acknowledged as one of the most respected refractive surgeons in the world. He is recognised by his peers as an expert in refractive surgery and anterior segment surgery. He was the first surgeon in the United States Department of Defense to perform LASIK and implant phakic intraocular lenses.
Mr Schallhorn served as a consultant to National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). He is an advisor for refractive surgery to Australia, Canada, France, Great Britain, Greece, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, Taiwan and Turkey. He also has worked with all five branches of the United States Armed Forces. An avid researcher, Mr Schallhorn has served as a clinical investigator on numerous Food and Drug Administration (FDA) clinical trials over the past 25-years. He has presented more than 200 clinical papers, made countless presentations throughout America, Europe, and Asia, and is the author of numerous academic journal publications and papers.
Before entering medical school, Mr Schallhorn had a successful career as a Naval Aviator and TOP GUN instructor in the US Navy. While at TOP GUN film screenwriter Jack Epps Jr interviewed him for the movie Top Gun. Although the movie is a fictitious portrayal of Naval Aviation, some of the events in the movie were based on stories relayed by Mr Schallhorn.
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society (AΩA) - member
- Physics Honors Society - member
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS)
- American Board of Ophthalmology (ABO) – certified November 1994, recertified 2004
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) – fellow
- American Academy of Ophthalmology: Refractive Surgery Interest Group – executive committee member
- American Academy of Ophthalmology: Refractive Surgery Ophthalmic Technology Assessment Committee – chairman
- American Academy of Ophthalmology: Knowledge Assessment Committee Refractive Surgery – chairman
- International Society of Refractive Surgeons (ISRS) - member
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ESCRS) - member