In the UK the NHS provides free eye tests for qualifying patients and in some cases they also contribute towards the cost of glasses. At Optical Express, our experienced optometrists will carry out a thorough eye test and advise you on which optical solution is right for you.
Am I entitled to a free eye test from the NHS?
If you fall into any of the following groups, the NHS will pay for the cost of your eye test:
Free Eye Tests from Optical Express
- Up to 16 years of age
- Up to 18 years of age and in full-time education
- Over 60 years of age
- Live in Scotland
- People (or partners of people) who receive certain benefits
- Holders (or partners of holders) of an exemption certificate (HC2)
- People who need certain complex lenses
- People diagnosed diabetic or with glaucoma
- People aged 40 years of age or over who are the brother, sister or child of a diagnosed glaucoma patient
In Scotland the NHS pay for your eye test. In England and Wales an eye test is FREE with any purchase of glasses, contact lenses or sunglasses. Without purchase the cost of an eye test in England and Wales is £30.
Will the NHS contribute towards the cost of my glasses?
The NHS help certain people with the cost of their glasses. To find out if you qualify or for more information contact the NHS on 111 or ask in-store at your local Optical Express.