Globally, cataracts are the most common cause of blindness.
Cataracts are the clouding of the natural lens inside the eye. As time goes on this clouding begins to prevent clear vision and if not treated, can lead to blindness. Whilst cataracts generally appear in both eyes, they might not develop in both eyes simultaneously. Cataracts can make carrying out everyday activities such as driving and reading very difficult.
Symptoms of cataracts include;
- Blurred or cloudy vision
- Double vision
- Colours may seem faded
- Impaired night vision
- Light sensitivity
- Seeing haloes around lights
Age-related cataracts are the most common form – they typically appear in adults aged over 60.
Other possible causes
- Extended exposure to UV light
- Excessive alcohol intake
- Eye injury
- Prolonged use of steroids
When to seek advice
- Make an appointment with an Optometrist if you notice any changes in your vision.
- Eye examinations should be a part of your health routine, much in the same way as visiting your GP or dentist. You should have a regular eye test at least every two years.
- Whilst updating your glasses and contact lenses may help you to see better when cataracts are in the early stages of development, they do not treat the condition.
- Cataracts can be surgically removed with lens replacement surgery. Lens replacement surgery for cataracts is one of the most commonly performed surgeries in the UK.
Optical Express offers cataract surgery from £1995* per eye with 100% of our patients receiving driving standards vision. Call 0800 023 2020 for a free consultation today.
*Price dependent on patient’s prescription and treatment type, determined at consultation.Cataract surgery